Thank you to everyone who reached out to us in regard to their Samsung stoves. Attorneys working with ClassAction.org have heard from enough people who’ve had issues with their stoves and have therefore completed their initial investigation into this matter.
Stay tuned to this page for potential updates, such as the filing of a lawsuit or the re-opening of this investigation. You can also sign up for our newsletter for the latest in class action news and settlements.
The information below was posted when this investigation began and remains for reference only.
At A Glance
This Alert Affects:
Anyone with a Samsung stove or range who had problems with their cooktop accidentally turning on because the knobs turn too easily.
What’s Going On?
Attorneys are looking into whether a class action can be filed in light of complaints that the knobs on Samsung stoves and ranges turn too easily and can cause the appliances to be turned on accidentally, posing a fire hazard. As part of the investigation, they need to speak with people who had this happen to them.
How a Lawsuit Could Help
If filed and successful, a class action lawsuit could help consumers get back some of the money they spent on their stove or range, provide compensation for property damage, and force Samsung to fix the problem.
Attorneys working with ClassAction.org want to hear from people who had problems with their Samsung stove or rangeturning on accidentally because the knobs are too easy to turn.
Owners of Samsung stoves and ranges have reported that their cooktops turned on without them noticing because a person or pet brushed against the knobs—and in some cases, this caused a fire. Attorneys are looking into whether the knobs are defective and, if so, whether a class action lawsuit can be filed against Samsung.
The more people the attorneys speak with, the better chance they’ll have at getting a class action lawsuit started.
What Problems Have Been Reported?
Samsung stove and range owners have reported that their cooktops, or just the gas, can get turned on accidentally when a person or even a pet brushes up against the knobs on the front of the appliance.
This can be a fire hazard, as the leaking gas or any items left on or near the stove could ignite.
A number of consumers have reported that their stove or range was accidentally turned on more than once, and some have said that their food, grocery bags, cookware or other items caught fire before they noticed that the appliance was on.
Complaints of Fire Hazard Posted Online
Below is a sampling of complaints submitted to the Consumer Product Safety Commission in which people reported that their Samsung stove and range knobs turned on too easily [sic throughout]:
We have a Samsung duo flex stove / oven and 2 times now it has caught fire. I’m terrified of this stove and had tried to call the manufacturer to get help and they just refer me to getting child covers on the stove. The knobs on the electric stove turn on just by brushing up against them. I have just today had it turn on 2 times from either kids running thru kitchen of my mother in law bc she is larger In size brush against it and it then turn on the stove eyes. Yesterday there was a book by the stove and it caught fire. Last week my son left a business check book that is the size of 3 ring binder on the stove and it got brushed against and turned on and the book melted and then caught fire. 3 time a month ago my kids were with a sitter and the dog jumped up to the stove and turned it on and he knocked something over into the stove top, it burned the walls, cabinet and counter. The smoke alarm went off and they got a fire extinguisher and put it out. I’m furious. I called and Samsung did not care.” — 10/20/21, SaferProduts.gov
DANGEROUS - fire risk We purchased this stove in January. The burner and oven controls are way too sensitive and they will turn on at the slightest touch or bump with no indication they are on. We have burned hands/fingers numerous times. On January 24th 2022 a knob was accidentally turned on and a small fire started because a bag was knocked onto the stove by a pet. This particular flaw has been reported multiple times with the same outcomes (fire) on other Samsung range models as well. This is a serious and dangerous design flaw that should be rectified immediately, along with a product recall...” — 01/24/22, SaferProducts.gov
My electric Samsung stove caught on fire. I placed a hot cookie sheet on the stove top and walked away. When I came back into the kitchen the knob must have been bumped. The burner was on and burning the cookie sheet. As I move the cookie sheet off the lite burner some of the butter spilled out and caught on fire. My daughter , 34 years old , was helping me and it burned her arm. Very mild but could have been bad!” — 12/12/21, SaferProducts.gov
Within the first month of owning the Samsung Household Electric Range I've had multiple stovetop incidents where the burner turns on accidentally and burned things on top of the stove. The knobs to turn the burners on are too easily engaged and they are also placed in a location where they routinely get bumped. These issues are not even taking into consideration pets and children since all of the accidental burner incidents I had were done by adults.” — 07/15/21, SaferProducts.gov
[I] bought an electric range for my house and it has a very unsafe and hazardous front cook tops temperature control knobs; if anyone touchs and/ or leans against the range while on the kitchen or by the sink the knob turns on itself, the person then leaves the room but does not realize the range had been turned on. Anything on the cooktop will cook will get hot or catch in fire. If the person leaves the house without double checking on the cook top knobs he/she can put fire on the house inadvertently. This happens every time it anyone leans or touches the stove and it happened since i bought it and since it was brand new…” — 04/14/22, SaferProducts.gov
Has There Been a Recall of the Samsung Stove Knobs?
Samsung has not issued a recall for the knobs on its stoves and ranges, though the manufacturer has a page on its website titled “Range knobs accidentally turn on cooktop too easily.”
Samsung states on its website that the only way for consumers to keep their stove knobs from turning is to buy knob covers or locks.
How Can a Class Action Lawsuit Help?
If a class action lawsuit is filed, consumers may be able to get money back for damage caused by the Samsung stoves or ranges, and for some of the purchase price. A lawsuit could also force Samsung to recall or fix the appliances.