Lawsuits Allege Hair Relaxers, Straighteners Cause Cancer, Other Health Problems
Last Updated on December 21, 2022
At A Glance
- This Alert Affects:
- Anyone who used certain hair relaxers or hair straighteners and developed uterine cancer, breast cancer, endometriosis or reproductive problems.
- What’s Going On?
- Scientific studies have found that hair straighteners and relaxers have been linked to cancer and negative reproductive effects, and it’s possible that the makers of these products knew about and failed to warn consumers of the health risks. Attorneys working with ClassAction.org are now investigating whether lawsuits can be filed on behalf of users who were diagnosed with cancer or other health problems.
- Which Products Are Under Investigation?
- Hair relaxers and straighteners under the Motions, Dark & Lovely, Soft & Beautiful, Optimum Care, Creme of Nature, Just for Me, Olive Oil and Brazilian Blow Out brands.
- How Could a Lawsuit Help?
- A lawsuit could help consumers recover money for medical bills, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- What You Can Do
- Fill out the form on this page to find out more about what’s involved with filing a lawsuit and what you could be owed.
- How Much Does This Cost?
- It doesn’t cost anything to speak with an attorney we work with, and you’re not obligated to take legal action just because you talked to someone about your rights.
Attorneys working with ClassAction.org want to speak with anyone who developed cancer, endometriosis or reproductive problems after using a hair relaxer or hair straightener product from one of the following brands:
- Dark & Lovely
- Soft & Beautiful
- Optimum Care
- Creme of Nature
- Just for Me
- Olive Oil (including Organic Root Stimulator)
- Brazilian Blow Out
Several studies have linked the use of hair straighteners and relaxers to an increased risk of cancer, including breast cancer and uterine cancer, and other health problems. Lawsuits are now being filed that allege the manufacturers knew about these health risks but failed to warn consumers.
Now, the attorneys working with ClassAction.org are looking into whether more lawsuits can be filed on behalf of consumers who developed cancer or reproductive problems after using hair products from the above brands.
To find out more, fill out the form on this page. An attorney may reach out to you directly to answer your questions and help determine whether you can file a lawsuit to recover money for medical expenses and more.
Studies Show Hair Relaxers, Straighteners Linked to Cancer, Health Problems
On October 17, 2022, the National Cancer Institute published a study that found that the use of hair straightening products is linked with a higher risk of developing uterine cancer.
According to the study, certain endocrine-disrupting chemicals that are often found in straighteners and other hair products may have contributed to this cancer risk. Endocrine disruptors, such as formaldehyde and phthalates, interfere with how the body’s hormones function and could potentially lead to reproductive problems, altered development, disrupted sexual development, low birth weight, a weakened immune system, and cancer.
The study noted that exposure to these potentially dangerous chemicals through hair products is especially concerning because chemicals are more easily absorbed through the scalp than other parts of the skin.
Additionally, the use of hair straighteners and relaxers can cause scalp lesions and burns, which make it even easier for harmful chemicals to pass into the body. The study also pointed out that applying heat through flat ironing or blow drying during straightening treatments can release or decompose the damaging chemicals, leading to higher exposure.
Several earlier studies have linked hair relaxers and straighteners to health problems, including breast cancer, uterine fibroids and early puberty.
In the wake of the National Cancer Institute study, the manufacturers of certain hair straighteners and relaxers have been hit with lawsuits alleging they should have known about these health risks and properly warned consumers.
Are These Class Action Lawsuits?
Although several proposed class action lawsuits have been filed, those cases are typically looking to repay consumers for the money they spent on the hair relaxers and straighteners – and not for any damages associated with developing cancer or other health problems.
The attorneys working with ClassAction.org are looking to file individual lawsuits on behalf of people who used products from the brands mentioned on this page and developed uterine cancer, breast cancer, endometriosis, or one of the following reproductive effects:
- Uterine fibroids
- Preterm birth
- Early puberty
- Delayed mental psychomotor development in children
- Early menopause
- Low birth weight
- Pregnancy loss
Since these cases are being handled on an individual basis, that means you’ll need to file your own lawsuit and be represented by your own attorney, who will attempt to resolve the matter on your behalf.
What Can I Get from a Lawsuit?
A successful lawsuit could provide payment for the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Medical expenses
- Lost earnings
How Much Does This Cost?
The attorneys are handling these lawsuits on a contingency-fee basis, meaning you will only pay if they win your case. In these situations, your attorney will typically collect a portion of the money you receive.
What You Can Do
If you used a hair straightener or relaxer product from one of the brands mentioned above and were diagnosed with cancer or endometriosis or experienced reproductive effects, fill out the form on this page to find out more about your rights.
After you get in touch, an attorney may reach out to you directly to answer your questions and explain what’s involved with filing a lawsuit. It costs nothing to get in touch, and you’re not obligated to take legal action if you later change your mind.
Before commenting, please review our comment policy.