Lawsuit Says Anthem Illegally Seeks Repayment of Disability Benefits from Injury Awards
Last Updated on May 1, 2020
At A Glance
- This Alert Affects:
- Anyone who had Anthem go after their personal injury settlement or judgment to collect repayment for disability benefits the company previously paid out.
- What’s Going On?
- Anthem Life Insurance Company has been sued for allegedly breaking state law and violating its own contracts when it attempted to take back money it already paid out in disability benefits from policyholders’ personal injury settlements and verdicts.
- What You Can Do
- If this sounds like something that happened to you, fill out the form on this page to learn more. After you get in touch, one of the attorneys looking into the allegations against Anthem may reach out to you directly.
- How Could a Lawsuit Help?
- A lawsuit could help policyholders get back the money Anthem recovered from their settlements and jury verdicts.
Attorneys working with ClassAction.org would like to hear from Anthem policyholders who had the insurance company take back money it previously paid out in disability benefits from their personal injury settlements or judgments. Read on for more.
What’s This All About Exactly?
A class action lawsuit has been filed in Pennsylvania over the way Anthem Life Insurance Company allegedly handles payments for disability benefits when the policyholder has also collected money for his or her accident through a personal injury settlement or jury verdict.
The plaintiff in the lawsuit says he was injured in an auto accident in 2013. He submitted a claim to Anthem for short-term disability benefits and was granted more than $5,600. The plaintiff also filed a claim for pain and suffering and other personal injury damages against the person he believed was responsible for the crash. The other party and his insurance company agreed to settle the case and awarded the plaintiff an undisclosed amount in damages.
Shortly thereafter, the lawsuit claims, Anthem made a claim for reimbursement of the man’s short-term disability benefits from the proceeds of his settlement. The suit says that this violated the company’s own contract, as well as state law.
How Could a Class Action Help?
A class action lawsuit could help Anthem policyholders:
- Collect the money Anthem recovered from their personal injury settlement or jury verdicts
- Recover money for “bad faith” damages
A successful case could also require Anthem to change the way it handles disability benefits claims in cases where the person is also granted money through a personal injury settlement.
To learn more about this lawsuit and how it affects you, fill out the form on this page. After you get in touch, one of the attorneys handling this investigation may reach out to you directly.
Before commenting, please review our comment policy.